2012 Prius Highlights
Toyota Reveals 2012-My Prius Plug-In Hybrid Details
Toyota announced details of its 2012-MY Prius. The Prius Plug-in Hybrid comes in two trim levels, standard and Advanced. MSRP for the two models are $32,000 for the standard edition and $39,525 for the Advanced model.
- Expected to achieve a miles-per-gallon-equivalent figure of 87 in combined driving and 49 MPG in hybrid mode
- Uses the standard Prius’ Hybrid Synergy Drive; battery is a newly developed 4.4 kWh lithium-ion pack that replaces the standard Prius model’s nickel metal hydrid battery
- Operation using only electricity for up to 15 miles at speeds up to 62 mph
- Hybrid Synergy Drive combines electric system with a 98-hp 1.8L four-cylinder engine that runs on Atkinson cycle and contributes to a max 134 total system hp
- The electric water pump requires no belts, Exhaust Gas Recirculation system helps warm the engine quickly, reducing fuel use when the engine is cold
- Valve control, injector design and other technologies help reduce emissions to qualify for an ATPZEV emissions rating
- New onboard battery charging system and a larger 176-lb. Li-ion battery pack, only weighs 123 lbs. more than the standard Prius Liftback
- Plug-in weighs 3,165 lbs. vs. 3,042 lbs. for Prius Liftback and 3,373 lbs. for the Plug-in test-fleet model
- New multi-information display on Plug-in
- New EV Drive Ratio display records ratio of driving distance covered by EV power, and Hybrid System Indicator shows possible EV driving range in EV mode
- Eco Savings Record screen, new to Prius and Plug-in, allows drivers to measure savings over a customizable pre-set comparison vehicle, including fuel cost and average MPG.
- Fully charging in 2 1/2 to 3 hours using a 120-volt outlet, or 1 1/2 hours using a 240-volt outlet
- Comes with a 120-volt charging cable that connects to the charging port inlet
- Battery charger cable is 24 feet long, weighs 3.75 lbs., and fits its own compartment in the trunk area.
- Port is located behind a spring-loaded push-open door on the right-rear fender; provides LED illumination and a timer
- If it malfunctions, the Charging Circuit Interrupter Device in the cable will stop the flow of electricity
- Self-test button, similar to that used on household outlets
- Rubber stopper prevents charging port door from snapping shut when closing
- Plug-in inherits the standard model’s 0.25 Cd. coefficient of drag.
- Features chrome-like finish for door handles, front grille, rear license plate garnish and battery charging door
- Features unique badges, blue-accent headlamps and LED taillight clusters
- Available in five exterior colors
- Uses plant-derived, carbon-neutral plastics known as “ecological plastic”
- Seats five and provides same amount of cargo as the Prius Liftback model.
- Standard Prius model seats three with 36 inches of legroom
- Seat-cushion foam uses ecological plastic
- Heated seats standard on Plug-in
- Smart Key System on three doors with push-button start and remote illuminated entry and Touch Tracer Display (provides touch sensors on steering wheel) come standard
- Advanced trim level offers SofTex interior seat trim, eight-way adjustable power driver seat, a JBL premium audio and HDD navigation system and Entune Applications for smartphones.
- New touch-screen display audio and navigation system with rear backup camera standard on Advanced
- Voice-recognition system allows for audio read-back and replay for text messages, and occupants can respond using pre-set quick-reply messages, such as: “I’m driving and will reply later.”
- Toyota’s Star Safety System (TSSS) standard on Plug-In. TSSS includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Anti-lock Braking System, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist and the Smart Stop Technology brake-override system.
- Available Pre-Collision System, paired with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, retracts seatbelts and applies brakes when the vehicle’s systems determine a frontal crash is unavoidable
- Plug-in comes standard with seven airbags, Safety Connect, which includes automatic collision notification, stolen vehicle locator, emergency assistance button and roadside assistance with three-year complimentary subscription
- Additional safety features in the Advanced include Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Safety Connect system
- 36-month/36,000 mile new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance
- Additional 60-month warranties cover powertrain for 60,000 miles and corrosion with no mileage limitation
- Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, battery-charging system and cable/connector, covered for eight years/100,000 miles (10 years/150,000 miles for CARB states).
- Plug-in also comes standard with Toyota Care, a complimentary plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance and 24-hour roadside assistance for three years or 25,000 miles
Source: www.automotive-fleet.com, Sept. 19. 2011
Recent Blog Posts
Oct 15, 2015 Capital Lease Group is a Proud Sponsor of the 2015 BAMSI Family Fun Day & Awareness Walk
Capital Lease Group is proud to be a sponsor of the 2015 BAMSI Family Fun Day & Awareness Walk. Here are the details: Sunday, October…